September 19th through 24th, 2010
Elaine Frenett & Jean Warren, Tandem Teach
Lake Alpine, just east of Bear Valley in California

Monday, July 19, 2010

How I Fell in Love with Lake Alpine

When I was living in California, I treasured my relationship with the Sierras - it had to take the place of my passion for the Rocky Mountains where I was raised. Early in my courtship with my hubby-to-be, knowing my loyalty to the mountains, he introduced me to the Lake Alpine area. We have camped there many a time and eventually, I grew very comfortable there.
I grew to know the "territory". The trails just up back our campsite were moderate and required no vehicle to access the trail head. The little village that the Lake Alpine Resort created with it's store, restaurant and cluster of cabins created a hub of activity and the owners were always a pleasure. I knew the swimming hole I loved to refresh in, the lake cove where it was always quiet, and the span of mystical granite with historic holes carved out by Natives grinding their food. On day trips, we'd brave it up to Ebbetts Pass and Mosquito Lake or for more of civilization, we'd drive to Bear Valley or Murphys. I felt at home there.

Later, we'd get our week-long camping trips all planned out. I'd be drooling inside to get to my favorite rock I'd discovered where I did my morning yoga . . . and . . . then, as my hubby got busier with his contracting business, we'd have to cancel the trip when he got jobs. I was disappointed and felt helpless.

In my spiritual path, I was learning to take charge of taking care of my needs. And, to be honest, nature, like the Lake Alpine area was one of my needs. So, I started planning a yearly trip up to Lake Alpine, by myself, only I was staying in one of the cozy lil' studio cabins in the village. I'd take a different hike daily, sketching, savoring the rugged, gorgeous mountain country. My precious personal journals are filled with images and several of my favorite fine art pieces were inspired from those visits.

Perhaps you can see, the return to this place, so precious in my memories, is pretty magical for me. I feel this special place helped me grow immeasurably and will always remind me of my core connection to nature, how it fills my soul with joy and strength. But to share this with all you very special women who choose to come along with Jean and I, I can't even find words to tell you my excitement and joy.

Our hope is that this "Women's Journaling & Sketching Retreat" will provide a place of sanctuary, growth, and renewal for all you who share it with us.
Namaste'

1 comment:

  1. This is so inviting! I think it will be a very magical and productive time!
    silvia trujillo

    ReplyDelete